POMINO ESTATE

A STORY TO SHARE

The estate of Pomino dates from 1500, the year the castle of the same name was built, and from the beginning has been famous for the excellence of its location. In the documentation from the year 1716 when the Grand Duke Cosimo III de’ Medici identified the four most highly prized territories of Tuscany for the production of wines – the notice is considered the precursor of the modern “DOC” (Denominazione di Origine Controllata, or Controlled Designation of Origin) – the territory of Pomino is listed alongside Chianti, Carmignano and Val d’Arno di Sopra. At the World’s Fair of 1873 in Vienna the wines of Pomino won awards, and in 1878 took the gold medal at the World’s Fair in Paris, the highest international recognition of its time.